HOST: YORKSHIRE BORN & THREAD
*Suitable for anyone who has experience of using a sewing machine or that may have completed a Sewing Starter or Beginners Sewing Cushion Cover/Tote Bag workshop*
This workshop runs over 3 weekly workshop sessions, during which you will learn how to measure yourself, pick the correct size pattern to use, learn how to lay out your fabric & pattern pieces to correctly, cut out and use a machine with basic sewing techniques to create your very own garment. You have a choice of patterns ideal for the novice stitcher, these are Tilly & The Buttons Cleo (Dungaree/Pinafore Dress), Stevie (Tunic Top or Dress) or Dominique (Straight or Flared Skirt)
What will we do:
During these sessions you will learn some of the following garment construction techniques whilst creating your very own outfit;
- Creating Patch Pockets
- Using interfacing
You will need to bring/buy separately:
- We do have some machines but you may want to bring your own sewing machine if preferred, with its foot pedal (which is always useful), instruction manual (if you have one) and a sewing machine tool kit (usually comes with the machine) which should include, spare needles, screw driver or alan key, spools & spool case (if it isn't a top loading machine) etc
- The pattern is not included in the price of this workshop so you need to purchase ahead. If you haven't already got the pattern, you can buy this directly from Fabricate online or in the shop. (Please note Dominque is only available as a PDF version directly from Tilly and the Buttons online store, so when purchasing you can use Fabricate's online PDF printing service to have it printed off on A0 paper, which will save you sticking loads of A4 sheets together beforehand!)
- Fabric & Trim is not included in the price of this course – you can bring your own or purchase on the day in the shop at Fabricate Mirfield but we recommend pre-washing & drying your fabric first in case of shrinkage, so it would be best to purchase ahead of your workshop date. Unsure of how to wash your fabric....see our Tips & Techniques page. The amount needed will depend on your pattern choice and the width of your fabric. (Any questions please just ask for advice we are here to help).
- Matching threads for your chosen fabric or any contrasting thread for topstitching, if you don't have any, there are a range of threads available to purchase at Fabricate either ahead or on the day. Unsure of how to match thread colours ....see our Tips & Techniques page.
- We have the tea, coffee & biccies sorted but feel free to bring your lunch or anything specific needed for your own dietary requirements.
If attending at Fabricate Mirfield there's a carpark for up to 3 hours free parking behind the library & their studio also has a toilet & kitchen facilities (kettle, fridge)
Workshop Terms & Conditions
Payment in full is required at the time of your booking to secure your place. Unfortunately, we are unable to reserve places without payment.
If you find you can’t come with 7 days or more notice before the start of your course then we will do our best to fill your spot, in which case you will receive a refund, less 25% administration charge. Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds for cancellations with less than 1 weeks’ notice. We do not offer partial refunds if you find you can’t attend one of the sessions in a course, so please make sure you can attend ALL sessions of a planned course before committing to the booking.
To book, please head over to Yorkshire Born & Thread's booking page
Anyone attending a workshop also receives a whopping 10% discount in the Fabricate shop on the days of their workshop!*
*Excludes gift vouchers and sale items. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.