HOST: YORKSHIRE BORN & THREAD
*Suitable for those who are confident in and have experience of using a sewing machine and have either previously done our Sewing Beginners workshops or have experience sewing in the past but need alittle refresher to get them going again*
This workshop runs over 2 weekly workshop sessions and is an excellent progression from our Beginners Dressmaking. You should now know the basics on how to select a size to fit, how to lay out, cut your fabric and your way around a sewing machine for some basic seaming and topstitchng. Don't worry though we are still here to guide you on this as now your pattern may have more pieces and more detailing, making you think that bit more when it comes to putting it together.
Rather than give you a choice of patterns to pick from we are suggesting you pick something that is the next step for you, ideally a move on from the Tilly & The Buttons Cleo (Dungaree/Pinafore Dress), Stevie (Tunic Top or Dress) or Dominique (Straight or Flared Skirt). You might want to look at something more fitted, with set in sleeves, something with a button or zip fastening, you may be more of a trousers person than skirt or dress. We want you to choose your style, try to stick with the intermediate or confident beginners categories when searching for a pattern, something you feel is the next step for you in your sewing journey.
What will we do:
During these sessions you will learn some of the following techniques depending on your pattern choices;
• Making any alterations to get the fit just right for you.
• Different seam types best to suit your chosen fabric/pattern.
• Using interfacing
You will need to bring/buy:
- We do have some machines but you may want to bring your own sewing machine if preferred, with it's foot pedal (which is always useful), instruction manual (if you have one) and a sewing machine tool kit (usually comes with the machine) which should include, spare needles, screw driver or alan key, spools & spool case (if it isn't a top loading machine) etc
- The pattern is not included in the price of this workshop so you need to purchase ahead, if you haven't already got the pattern, you can buy this directly from Fabricate online or in the shop.
- Fabric & Trim is not included in the price of this course – you can bring your own, view a range online, purchase on the day in the shop at Fabricate Mirfield but we recommend pre-washing & drying your fabric first so it would be best to purchase ahead of your workshop date, so quick go on, an excuse to get to the fabric shop to have a browse! The amount needed will depend on your pattern choice and the width of your fabric. (Any questions please just ask for advice we are here to help).
- Correct fastenings for your chosen pattern, it may have a certain type of zip or use buttons.
- Matching threads for your chosen fabric or any contrasting thread for topstitching, if you don't have any, there are a range of threads available to purchase at Fabricate either ahead or on the day.
- We have the tea, coffee & biccies sorted but feel free to bring your lunch or anything specific needed for your own dietary requirements.
Everybody works at their own pace and depending on your project, you may not finish your garment, but we will try our very best to get you there. Anything you don't finish, don't worry we will give clear instruction, or you can always come along to one of our Sewing Sewport groups, if you feel you still need further guidance to complete.
To book, please head over to Yorkshire Born & Thread's booking page
Anyone attending a workshop also receives a whopping 10% discount in the Fabricate shop on the days of their workshop!*
*Excludes gift vouchers and sale items. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.